A few years back, jailbreak utilities were in such huge supply that everyone who wanted to jailbreak had a choice of utilities. And whenever Apple released their newest firmware, everyone knew a brand new utility or two would be released soon after. But, in 2008, Apple introduced new security into the iOS firmware that effectively shut jailbreaking down. For a while anyway. Now the developers are back in full swing, and new jailbreaks are being released all the time. For those of you running iOS 12 or above, the best jailbreak utility available right now is Checkra1n – here’s all you need to know.
How to download Checkra1n:
Don’t download Checkra1n on your device until you have read these requirements:
- You will need to use your computer to install Checkra1n on your device and, right now, only macOS has support. However, there are plans to support Windows in a future update
- Checkra1n is semi-untethered so, whenever your device is restarted for any reason, you must reactivate the jailbreak
- The jailbreak supports 64-bit A5 to A11 devices running iOS 12 or above
- It is only an experimental tool on the iPad 2, 3 Air, and iPhone 5S at the moment
- The default package manager is Cydia, but there are others you can add, and more will be included in future updates
If you are happy to go ahead, here’s how to jailbreak using Checkra1n:
- First, back up your data using iTunes and/or iCloud
- Plug your device into your Mac and tap Yes on the Trust This Computer message if it appears
- Download the Checkra1n jailbreak and find the .dmg file
- Double-click it and then drag/drop Checkra1n into your Applications folder
- Open Applications, right-click on Checkra1n, and choose Show Package Contents
- Click Checkara1n > contents > macOS and double-click checlra1n_gui
- Wait for the jailbreak to open and make sure it has detected your connected device
- Click Start – a message appears telling you to place your device into DFU mode
- Click Next > Start and follow the instructions on your iPhone to do this – this might take a few tries
- When your device is in DFU mode, Checkra1n will get to work jailbreaking it
- The verbose boot screen will be shown while the jailbreak is in the process – when it is finished, you can close the app
- Tap the Checkra1n icon on your home screen and choose Cydia>Install Cydia
- Wait – you will see Cydia on your home screen once the jailbreak is complete
How to Install Sileo:
Some users prefer the Sileo repository to Cydia, and adding it is simple to do. However, be aware that once you select Sileo, Cydia is automatically uninstalled, and your default shell is changed to “zsh”:
- Open Cydia on your device and tap Sources at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Edit > Add
- In the URL field, type sileoteam. apps
- Tap Add Source, and the Sileo repository will be installed
Deleting Checkra1n Jailbreak:
Should you need to delete the jailbreak from your device, you can do it in a couple of ways. First, it is a semi-untethered jailbreak so, once you reboot your device, it is inactivated. You can restore your device using iTunes and go onto the latest iOS firmware version or, if you want to retain your current version, download Cydia Eraser:
- Launch Cydia Eraser from your device and tap on Delete All Data & Jailbreak
- Tap on Delete All
- Wait, as this could take some time
- When your device reboots, Checkra1n is gone
Frequently Asked Questions:
Being one of the more popular choices of jailbreak, we are starting to hear a few questions about it. These are the commonly asked ones:
What is Checkra1n?
It is a relatively new jailbreak designed for iOS 12 and above. Based on the checkm8 bootrom exploit, it is semi-untethered but has a fully active community that keeps it updated and safe to use.
Can I Use Windows?
No. Right now, it only works on macOS. However, the developers are expected to provide Windows support fairly soon. In the meantime, Windows users should look at Unc0ver jailbreak, which is just as reliable and safe to use.
Is Checkra1n Safe to Use?
Yes, it is. Checkra1n was put through stringent tests before the developer released it publicly, and they maintain constant monitoring. If anything goes wrong or a problem arises, they release an update to fix it – it is your responsibility to install the updates. It is also one of the most reliable jailbreaks, but, as with any tool, make sure your device data is backed up before you install it.
Jailbreaks have been thin on the ground recently but are now starting to pick up again. Checkra1n is one of the most reliable and stable, so install it on your iPhone or iPad today and get back to doing what you really want with your device.